Hearts & MindsSM - Information for ChangeSM
Helpful Info for Participating
of the Program
For an event at your location, Hearts
& Minds provides:
- Guidance on how to communicate effectively with the
public, based on our professional experience in advertising, marketing and communications.
- An inspiring discussion of solutions for poverty
and environmental issues, including how seniors can help create a more
just and sustainable planet.
- Photographer(s) to take pictures of participants and their work.
- Possible media coverage. Participants may be interviewed,
photographed, or filmed for print, broadcast and other media.
- Forms giving permission to show
pictures of participants and their work on-line on the Hearts & Minds website - www.change.net - and in other media.
Please have these forms signed and ready for Hearts & Minds by the start
of the event.
- If possible, please supply a PC computer,
computer projector and screen or white wall. This enables us to include
a better presentation.
Your organization would provide (these details are
flexible, but please let us know ahead if they will be very different):
*Events with as few as 10 or as many as 50 are also possible.
- 20 - 25* seniors at one time and plenty of table or desk space
(at least 30" wide x 30" deep per person for them to work on. This event must be
in a public or community space, not in a private home. We need an advance estimate of how
many will attend.
- Light refreshments for all of those attending. The maximum number of
adults to be expected from Hearts & Minds is usually four volunteers. You will be kept posted
if additional media will be attending.
- Signed permission/release forms
for us to collect at the event. Otherwise, we cannot put their artworks
and photos online.
- Art supplies* sufficient for all the seniors to work with at the same
time. This should include:
- clean white paper (8-1/2" x 11") or stiff, white, poster-size paper (11" x
17", for example)
- a full range of brightly colored, non-toxic paint,
markers or crayons, tested in
advance to make sure they work well on the paper provided.
- No more than three seniors should have to share one full set.
- 8-1/2" x 11" lined paper and pens for each
senior to write essays, poetry or letters.
Seniors are concerned for the future of our world
*If you are not able to provide art materials,
Hearts & Minds may find sponsors for this. Please let us know in advance if you cannot provide
all of the specified materials.
This event could be scheduled as follows (days and start times are
- 3:00 PM - Refreshments/settling in
- 3:15 - Introductions of Hearts & Minds, other
facilitators and the
- 3:20 - Lecture/discussion of poverty and/or the environment,
art techniques and effective communication
- 3:40 - Poster, essay and poetry creation time
- 4:20 - Group review of the work, further discussion of
the issue -or- talk about letter writing techniques, identification of
each person's representative
- 4:40 - Time for additional work or writing
letters to our elected representatives
- 5:00 - Group review and further discussion
- 5:30 - Good-byes
An alternative event, in which each senior creates one piece of
art for inclusion in a "Change Our World" collage, can be completed
in just two hours.
Other than the items above, there is no required costs
or payment for this event.
Main Page for this
Section | Summary of the Program
Top of Page | Home
Page | Site Guide
This web page and entire website ©
Copyright: 1997 - 2015 by Hearts and Minds Network,
Inc. Photos © 2007 by Bill Blackman, http://www.heartsandminds.org/seniors/letter.htm - online October 25,
2007, latest changes August 3, 2010
Hearts & Minds
Copyrights, Reprints & Important Notes